November 13, 2008

The Accidental Shepherd, Part 2

* A little footnote about the last post where I said we had planned on not getting any animals for our new farm until we had the money to build fencing - a few of you commented on how it always seems the animal comes first, then the fencing... I have to say that's been our experience, too, but in this case we really had good intentions in putting it off.
And you see how those intentions worked out- we wound up with a lamb in our living room, watching the nightly new with us. (LOL)

In case you missed part one, go here to read it.

After Daisy's first six weeks of life, it was becoming apparent that she would not be able to live inside our house much longer. We didn't really have any game plan for the future, but we were quickly realizing that she was in fact, a barnyard animal. We discussed what we needed to build for her and how to secure it, and how close we could put it to the house so she wouldn't be so isolated and vulnerable; I mean, she came to live with us when she was 3 days old, so we were all she'd ever known. But none of this made me feel very good about the situation, and her being outside all alone was almost more than I could stand. We had no other sheep to put her with, and even though Smokey was her buddy, I couldn't cage him up with her full time.

Then Hubby said, "If Cody has some more lambs, do you want to see if he'll sell us another one for a companion to her?"
Brilliant!! (Why didn't I think of that?)

So, the call was made and yes, he had 1 more he would be willing to sell. The next evening, we set off with money in hand and a dog crate in the back of the suburban. This was going to be great! We would have another sheep not only for companionship, but also for protection since Daisy had never been outside at night before, and a lamb that was used to being in a barn would show her the ropes. Sounds like a winner to me.



Boy, were we in for a surprise....



After the money was exchanged, the new lamb was loaded into the dog crate headed for her new home. Since she had never been away from her mother, she did not take this situation very well. In fact, she bawled all the way home. VERY LOUDLY. I looked at Hubby and said, "how long do you think this will go on?"

He said, " Ah, she'll be okay when we put her in with Daisy."
Okay. I'm fine with that.

Once home, we carried the crate up to the new pen we had built. (Daisy had already been spending the afternoon in it, so she was used to her new surroundings.) We carried the crate inside the pen, opened the door, and...... encountered a major problem. The new lamb was still bawling, and Daisy was horrified. You have to remember- up until that point, Daisy had no idea she was a sheep, or even what a sheep was. So her introduction was a little on the traumatic side, to say the least. And when the poor little lamb finally saw something she recognized (another creature with black wool) she made a dash for Daisy, at which time a very scared Daisy took off in a blind run, ramming into anything in her way. The insanity that followed cannot really be described, so use your imagination.

Once the dust settled, we had two very banged up lambs, both of them bawling like babies, and the two of us scratching our heads and wondering what in heaven's name we were going to do.

We brought Daisy back inside so she could calm down, and left the new lamb in the little pen we had built. After Hubby and I went to bed, I lay awake listening to the new lamb until I had heard all I could stand. I raised up and looked at the clock. 1:30 a.m.

I knew there was only one thing I could do. I got up, put my coat on and went up to the pen with Daisy in my arms. The new lamb had literally been crying- her eyes were wet. And now her bawling sounded like a weak baby's cry. It was about 35 degrees outside, but I laid down in the straw with Daisy on one side and the new lamb on the other. I stroked their heads and talked to them. Daisy quickly fell asleep. In a few moments, the other lamb did too. All night long I held them. I began to think of all the stories I had heard about shepherds long ago and I wondered if any of them had ever done this before. Then I thought of THE Shepherd. How he had brought comfort to me during so many sleepless nights. It wasn't long before I too fell asleep in the straw, with a lamb under each arm.


Things slowly improved as Daisy got used to her new companion. There was such a difference in size- the new lamb was a large, healthy, robust lamb raised on her momma's milk; Daisy was a scraggly little runt raised on powdered milk by a very inexperienced mother. Even though there were only a few days difference in their age, they almost looked like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito in "Twins".

Hubby asked me, "What are you going to name the new lamb?"

I said, "I think I'll name her "Eatie" because she eats all the time!"

Hubby said that was a very fitting name, so we changed it to Edie.


Little did I know the way she earned her name would almost become a tragedy......



to be continued!




Daisy and Edie at 8 weeks old in their pen.

48 comments:

  1. Okay... I'm hooked... I will be waiting on the next installment in this story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have waited ALL day and your sweet story was definitely worth the wait. What a beautiful story and I too am hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sniff, sniff!* Waaaaaaah! Such a heartwarming story! And the comparison to the Shepherd...well it couldn't have been said better. Those little lambs are so lucky to have you as their shepherd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story would make a great children's book...can't wait until the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula, I am sitting here with tears in my eyes reading this sad, heartwarming stories of the two little lambs and their unfortunate circumstances. You have the heart of a Saint to go out and lay there with the two little lambies! What a sweet heart you have!

    ...please don't tell me the story gets worse! I can hardly stand the heartache of these poor lambs as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I'm with Dani! This would make a great children's book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, what a wonderful post(one of my favorites, if not the favorite, ever!!) I have tears in my eyes picturing you laying out there with those two babies, and your likening it to The Shepherd is perfect!! You are awesome!! I can't wait to read more....please tell me it is a happy ending though!!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right, just what our Shepherd does....comfort His sheep, waiting for the next chapter. Baaaaaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The exclamation bummer is not an accident!

    There is nothing better than sleeping in the straw in the barn. It is not something I would sign up for even now but those are times I would never cash in for a luxury suite in a beach side hotel.

    Sometimes I wonder what I wouldn't understand about God and his people if I wasn't a farmer/gardener. Thank you for sharing your insights and your lamb story. More, more, bravo, more..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait for the next installment...you've got me and my heart! I've laughed and cried at such a sweet story (but I know for a fact there's a "Happy Ending"!). I agree with Dani this would make a great children's book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my goodness....please don't leave us hanging! I love the part about you sleeping with them! I can so see myself doing the same thing. I'll be back to hear the rest!

    Be sure to drop by my blog on Sunday or Monday...I'm having a giveaway for my 100th post! Have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a sweet story.
    looking forward to the rest of it

    ReplyDelete
  13. How sweet....and I agree with everyone else....what a great children's story this would make! Can't wait to read "part 3!"
    Hugs,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paula..... you have this attention deficited chicklets FULL ATTENTION... AND I'M EVEN WAITING! heehee.... can't wait to hear more...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paula,

    Oh, I had tears in my eyes reading this! What a heart gripping story! I can't wait for the rest! You're such a kind person!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not since Pioneer Woman began the Black Heels to Tractor Wheels saga have I been so 'hooked' on a blog story!

    My eyes got watery when I read the part about you lying in the pen, holding a sweet little lamb on each side, then comparing the comfort to that of the Great Shepherd. The story is a sweet one, and your job of expressing it is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love this story!!! I smiled through some of it, had a sad face through other parts. It reminded me of Floyd, the bull we once raised. His mother was killed by coyottes during his birth...so we got him to bottle feed. We threw him in with the goats and he basically was raised thinking he was a goat and would mimic their play, etc. It was cute when he was little...but a bit much when he was 1,500 pounds...yet he NEVER hurt any of the goats..when we tried to separate him, it was impossible, he just hung his head over the fence and bellowed all day long....so he ended up back with the goats. Can't wait till the rest of your story!

    Juri

    ReplyDelete
  18. I laughed, then cried. It's a great story. I'm waiting to hear the rest. The comparison of shepherding is so apt.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Don't stop now....I want to hear the rest of the story....Paula, listening to that lamb cry must have been awful! I would have felt so sorry for it. The poor little thing but its so lucky to have you as its Shepherd. Please don't tell me that the name has a tragedy ending...eatie? ....I can't stand it!
    Love, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Paula what a beautiful moving story! I can't wait for part 3. You are such a caring wonderful person. Take Care :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank goodness I got home today and got to read parts 1 and 2. Now I have to wait for part 3...sigh. Anyway, I have been in stitches laughing up a storm that I have tears in MY eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The things animal lovers will do..and there is a lot of enabling, too!! I found myself feeling really sorry for the crying lamb..and you took care of that! :)) So very sweet to read this story!! I see a book....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Miss Paula,

    Love the story. Look forward to more. Thank you for your encouraging words on my blog. I've had a funky couple of weeks. I usually get this way around the anniversary of my Mom's passing.

    Hugs,
    PS

    ReplyDelete
  24. Darling girl, I can see you --laying in the hay with those lambs. They are as our own children, aren't they? No wonder they love you so much. This only reaffirms my belief that you are one of the best people I know! I can't wait to read the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my goodness ~ this is one of the sweetest stories I've ever heard. I can just picture you laying down with the lambs, lulling them to sleep. Ahhh....
    Can't wait for the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Paula, what a story. You are a great mommy to hold your babies through the night like that. How sweet of you! It goes to show that animals have feelings too and she was missing the only thing she knew. Now I want a lamby.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a precious story!! I'm crying!! The mental picture of you laying with those precious little lambs just got to my heart. And when I think of THE Shepherd watching over all of us in the very same - well I'm blubbering now!! Can't wait to hear the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gooooodness, and I thought I was the only one that tortured my readers with 3 part installments! But... I love it. This is a great story, and some stories are meant to be digested slowly. I cried when I read about you holding a lamb under each arm - and how God does JUST THAT with us! We are SO lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a wonderful story! I can hardly wait for the next chapter :0) I loved that you laid in the hay with your sheep until ya'll fell fast asleep!
    Many Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Paula,
    This story touched my heart! I cried when I read the part about you sleeping out in the pen with them - it shows what a loving heart you have, my dear!!
    Merry

    ReplyDelete
  31. i got some bloggy love for you over at the lost world!
    http://tinyurl.com/585rka

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, Paula.......
    I just don't know how to put into words what a sweet, touching story you've just shared.
    And what a beautiful comparison to OUR shepherd, THE shepherd. God is so good!
    Thank you for reminding us!
    Many Blessings,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  33. Holy Mackerel! I was off the computer for a few days and i almost had to take a bus to get to the end of this comment list to post! hahaha You know i love this story....You are so good...

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am sitting on pins and needles to hear the rest of this wonderful story! blessings, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great job on your story. I am anxiously awaiting the next episode.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Just popped back in to see if the other part of the story was here! Enjoyed reading this so much. blessings, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sweet Daisy and her new companion Edie are so beautiful!!!
    My heart melted at the thought of you loving on the lambs until they found peace......your portrayal of Jesus was so dead on....He sits in the cold with me and loves on me until I find peace. I don't have lambs but I have big goofy dogs....I must go cuddle with them now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is a great story. I am looking forward to the next part.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh, no, a tragedy's on the way! I almost can't bear to look ;)

    This is a super-sweet story. And they are very lucky lambs indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wahhhh! I thought I would get it all this time...poo! I will be bahaaack.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love the story!! I can't wait for the next installment!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Paula, there is a surprise for you at my blog come visit when you have a chance it is in the "Finishing Up Before the Season Ends" post. Hope you see this at the bottom of forty one comments!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Paula, I also teared up reading this heartwrenching story of two little lambs, and how their new mama spent the night curled up in their pen, one on each side, stroking their little noggins. You're a sweetie, I'am certain the lambs feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have goose bumps after reading that! So heartwarming and sweet. Lucky lambs :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow, what a great story - can't wait for the next installment! And the next pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I LOVE your story and I'll be back for the next installment. You are the most fabulous person to go sleep with them and comfort them.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh my gosh
    what a beautiful story, I would have done exactly the same, poor Edie, crying!
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh, I was just in tears reading about the poor babies snuggling up to their shepherdess for comfort and warmth, and you thinking about your own Shepherd in your times of need! This is such a sweet, touching story! I can't wait to read the rest!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment~ I would love to hear from you!