February 18, 2008

If only...

I‘m reminded today of how, in spite of our best efforts, we will sometimes have to live our lives with regrets. My very best friend’s mother passed away early this morning, which is painfully close to the same time of year I lost my own mother 3 years ago. I will always remember my last visit with my friend’s Mom a couple of weeks ago- I hadn’t been able to see my friend to give her a birthday card, so I left it with her Mom and told her to give it to my friend the next time she saw her. (Just another way God works things out- I would have missed seeing her one last time.) We sat on the couch for a while, talking about all the things we usually talked about; chickens, the weather, babies, and dogs. Then I stood up, told her I’d better be going because I had a few more errands to run, hugged her, and said goodbye.
And now she’s gone.
And today, I can't help but think: if only I would have known that was the last time I'd talk to her, I would have stayed a little longer. If only I would have known I would never see her again, I wouldn't have been in such a hurry.
If only….

“To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which was planted; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance…”
Ecclesiastes 3: 1, 2, 4

5 comments:

  1. I am so sorry :(. How sad. I pray she is in a wonderful eternity now with Christ! Ifs can always be soo numerous..can't they? All we can do is do the best we can and pray it is enough! I hope you are OK! ~~hugs~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry, but like you said, it was God's gift to you to have one last time with her, I"m sure she loved the time spent with you. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to get to have memories of your last visit together. I believe it was meant to be for you to see her...

    ReplyDelete
  4. No regrets - It is so hard to let go of those we care for- thrilled that you got one last good visit together - it is a gift not to know when the end will come - we'd live too heavy hearted. But I agree with the hugs - you deserve a big squeeze and pat on the back -

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment~ I would love to hear from you!