March 23, 2012

Friday Farm Fotos: Broody hens and a Big Bee Welcoming Committee


Lily gets filled in on the latest hen house gossip.


Some of you may remember back a couple of years ago when Dad helped us get started in beekeeping with two hives of our very own...  sadly, one hive didn't make it through the first year, and then last spring we were heartbroken when we found out the second hive- which had been the stronger of the two- was gone as well.
Last Saturday, Hubby was working in his little shop behind the barn and since it was 80 degrees that afternoon, he had his doors wide open to help keep cool. He started noticing honey bees flying inside the door and gathering around our beekeeping supply box and the empty hives in the corner. He finally called for me to come and help him try to get the bees out of his building, and I told him I thought they might be looking for a home.
Hubby was a little skeptical at first, but he went along with my idea to set out one of the hive boxes and see what happened... we watched closely the rest of the evening and even Sunday morning but didn't see much activity. But once we arrived back home from church Sunday morning we looked up the hill and couldn't believe our eyes- the sky was black with a swarm of bees trying to get into the hive. An hour later, they had all but moved in and started cleaning house! They were literally throwing the old comb and dead bees out the front of the hive... and I told Hubby it looked like we were back in the honey bee business!


We have no idea where these bees came from, but we are very glad to have some again. I am feeding them sugar water every day to help them get off to a good start, and I hope they like it here so much they decide to stay around for a long time. (If you want to see a short video from a couple of years ago of me "feeding" sugar water to a honey bee, click here.)



************************************************


It's that time of year again.....


Right now I have five (yes, five) broody silkie hens on the nest...
and you know what that means- chicks will be coming soon.
*SQUEEEEAL*
Sometimes when I look at these determined little hens, I can't help but wonder-
what on earth do they think about while they sit on those eggs for hours on end?



Sometimes they are shy and don't want to face the world, so they just turn their fuzzy bottom to it.
Either that or they're just mooning my camera.


And sometimes they let you know what they think of your camera (and you) 
with a swift peck on the hand.




Maybe we should be asking the Daddy what he thinks about all those babies on the way....


I don't know about you, but he looks a little bewildered to me.
Like he's wondering how he's going to pay for all those diapers.....

Happy Friday, everyone!

33 comments:

  1. You must be so delighted for the bees! I hope they are going to stay.

    Can't wait to see the baby chickens (i'm new to your blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pleasant surprise with the bee return.

    You and your squeeeling. Makes me laugh.

    New chicks. Mine will be here SOON! Should I squeal, too? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, silky adorable-ness:) dad does indeed look a bit bewildered,lol! That is so cool with the bees coming and moving themselves in, they must have thought they hit the jackpot by finding a nice home abandoned:D Have a wonderful weekend paula!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart sings for the bees. The silkies are goergeous! Will the chicks be purebreads?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo,,,,bees making their home at your house. Maybe it'll mean a honey crop.
    Lily nose to beak,,,,adorable!!
    Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats on both counts! i know you're thrilled that someone else's bees decided to relocate! neat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Paula, What a precious photo of Lily and the girls! I am so happy about the honey bees - I wish you the very best! Can't wait to see the babies also. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thrilled!!!! that the Bees are coming back!! I Know y'all are!!
    Love the chickens photos Girl...especially the "papa" rooster...Hahaaaa...he Does look bewildered!
    Happy weekend!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. That bee story is nutty! Glad it was a success
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol! Mooning the camera! I love all your gorgeous chickens! Dad should be happy there are no diapers in his future. He's probably missing his ladies, though. My son says he thinks we have one broody hen. I'm not even sure if she has any eggs?

    So happy to hear you've got some volunteer bees in your hive! I hope they like it there too and decide to stay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you and the bees!! We used to have bees and all the equipment that goes with collecting the honey, but something has happened to bees in our area. We rarely see a honey bee anymore, only bumble bees.

    I'm beginning to wonder ~ do hens think? lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think beekeeping is so fascinating! Nothing better than pure, fresh honey! Aww...those chicks are adorable! Don't you kind of wish they could stay little forever?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice surprise to see the honeybees returning. And in keeping with the spirit of honeybees, those Silkies are just the bees' knees! (For you youngin's, that means they are just too cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paula, I loved this post. Those Silkies are so cute. Even the adults are just cute. I hope you get lots of babies. Looks like Lily was trying to find out where the eggs are hidden. LOL Wow! How great that a new swarm of bees have moved in to your hives. You should have some good honey soon. I hope they decide to stick around. Have a wonderful weekend, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Paula! First, I'm so happy about the bees!!!Seems I remember a picture of you petting one of your bees (we all knew they'd be well loved)!
    And ahem!!!Misses Big Bottom hen~my~but that's a lovely bum!!
    Mister Chicken does need a snooze I think-but he's a beautiful man!

    Love to all the critters and to you and hubby.
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on the bees, my nephew has quite a few hives full now..these warm days they are really working..Glad yours came back..There's something about that hen that's so adorable..I've never seen one like her..my mom had chickens all the time but never had any of those..wish she had though.Hope you have a nice weekend..Susie

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH happy days are hear again,Paula, I know the feeling of having bees come back to their hive. The silkies are absolutely adorable, your place is soon going to be real noisy with lots of peeps. I bet miss Liliy will have her hands full keeping them all in line. ~smile~ I keep looking for my hens to start brooding but they seem to be enjoying this warm weather and don't want to sit all day and night. maybe soon. Always a joy to visit. Give lily a hug for me.
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness, Paula. I love your posts.. I always end up grinning my head off.. I was thinking it was a good thing you went to church.. They must have just been waiting for you to be gone.. grin..
    And mooning the camera.. How do yo come up with it??? LOL..
    Blessings dear heart..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Paula it is great that you are back in bee business once more!Love,love your Silkies!! Have a wonderful weekend,Jen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Paula, I don't know which I am excited for you the most, that you have bees back or more fuzzie bottoms on the way!!
    Hugs, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! What a wonderful surprise fort the honey bees to come to the hive. I know you all were so glad. The photos of the hens are so pretty. I like Lily's photo very much, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always get a giggle out of your picture captions. Your funny. And yay for bees and baby silkies. Isn't spring great?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I do love spring and how happy everyone is to be out and to see new life at the barn and in the gardens.....Lilly....looks like she was licking her lips!....I'm wondering if she was thinking how tasty those cute lil silkies would be? hmmm sooo cool about the bees!
    We have been thinking of trying them.....will see
    Blessings!
    *Susan*

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, Paula, I am so excited! I have been worrying about the honeybees now for a couple of years...ever since I saw that special about them dying out. I have lots who come to my hummingbird feeders...so many the hummingbirds often can't find a spot to drink! I am happy to have them. Wouldn't mind having my own bee hive, if I knew how. Anyway, to know you had a swarm come to your farm and set up housekeeping is VERY exciting!

    Love the broody hens too. How adorable. You'll be so happy with your new chicks!

    Thanks for coming by my blog and always commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love these chickens...all of them! Love the conversation going on through the fence too...such a nice farm you have! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Chickens, goats and honey bees...lots to keep you and Lily busy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. How wonderful..........new bees and baby chicks on the way! Who could ask for more?

    ReplyDelete
  28. just repopulated our chicken coop - only 6 and kind of assorted but friend is getting into the rare breeds incubating thing and I got the nice extras - nothing so exotic as your silkies! Exciting about the bees - one of the many things I'd like to do (but DH absolutely refuses!) is try beekeeping. Guess watching your stories will be my bee "fix"!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ooooh, I love Silkies. I'd hoped to have some by now. Maybe some day...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dogs, chickens, bees and more...It's an exciting life out there! I've never seen anyone hand feed a sugar solution to a bee. I found it very interesting. I've always been terrified of bees. Hope I can get over it!

    Lana

    ReplyDelete
  31. 'Thought maybe Miss Lily was thinkin', "hummmmmm, wonder if they taste like chicken?" Heeehehehhe!

    Looks like the bees know a good home when they see it. How cool ya have bees again. I'd love to do this but I'm allergic. (life threatin')

    Awwwww, what precious little 'fluffs' your chicks are.

    God bless ya and have yourself a delightful day sweetie!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  32. How wonderful to have the bees come to your place!!
    Lucky you!!
    I remember well you starting bees, and that gorgeous honey.. then the hives dying.
    I will keep my fingers crossed for you that this hive naturalizes and stays strong and healthy!!

    Lily is a sweetie. I can imagine that she's curious about the goings-on in the coop too !

    Just wanted to invite you to follow and read along on my new blog-- I'm keeping the old blog just for my family.
    Just click on my name next to this comment and it should take you right to my blog.
    Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You live in the neatest place. I'm so happy you blog!!
    Lily is such a love.
    Keep on bloggin' ~ it makes all of our days!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment~ I would love to hear from you!