October 14, 2019

Not Just Another Hen


You would think that after keeping chickens ever since I was five, I would get used to losing them. I mean, down through the years there have been so many, I've lost track of all the different breeds I've had and even forgotten some of their names. But maybe it's the time of the year... I love fall but something about it always seems a tad melancholy to me... or maybe it's the time of my life, when death in any form seems to affect me more than it did twenty years ago. At any rate, I lost one of my two remaining red hens today. And life goes on, tomorrow will be a new day, and so on. But she was one of the good ones. She would come running for treats, would even let me pick her up and hold her. And when she got sick a few days ago, (I suspect she was egg-bound..) she was so patient with me while I tried to doctor her up and help her get well. Even when I tried to dislodge the object inside her with my finger (I'll spare you those details) she just let out a little "ooooh" and blinked her eyes a few times, then softly jumped to the ground and tried to get as far away from me and my finger as she could.
Chickens can be interesting creatures, and some can be hilariously entertaining, but few make sweet pets; most poultry just don't have that instinct in them. I've had a few, and you never forget them. Red Hen #2 was one of those. And today, I just wanted to honor her life. Sleep tight, sweet girl.

11 comments:

  1. 😭 Bless Red Hen #2
    Losing furry and feathered friends never gets easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula! I think of you often and wonder how things are going on the farm. I'm going as strong as ever I suppose, still working every day in the chickens and raked hay again this summer. I feel very blessed to have good health so I can work. Sorry to hear you have lost your "lil red hen". Pets become such an important part of our lives. I was thrilled to have a comment from you although I've taken a blogging rest that has lasted over a year. :( Take care and hope to hear from you again sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel. Pets.....even chicken ones are special. Hold on to those sweet memories of her. Hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paula,
    Sorry about your loss Paula. Animals are so special to us. I do know how you feel. We lost our sweet Boston Terrier Molly, she as 13. The hardest time for me is when I plan to go for a walk.. I look to grab her leash.
    Sending Hugs!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry, Carla. That's the worst part of having a pet.

      Delete
  5. so sorry you lost her. I did not know this about chickens. I do know when I was about 8 or 9 years old daddy decided he was going to raise chickens for FOOD. ha on that. I named them all and had fits when he killed one and refused to eat it. that was the last of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, bless your heart~ this is why all mine get names!! No one gets hurt that way. LOL

      Delete

Please leave a comment~ I would love to hear from you!