February 14, 2008

Love is in the air...sort of

Well, I hope this post finds you planning a special evening with your sweetie. Just in time for this romantic day, I am coming down with something that is turning me into a sneezing, hacking, mucous factory. I can already hear how my evening will go..."Nod toodite huddee, I hab a cobe." On the other hand, there is plenty of romance going on around the henhouse with our romeo rooster, Hamburger, who is making love to all the ladies with his usual fervor. (To those of you who have never had chickens, roosters have only one real purpose in life, and that is to impregnate hens at an alarming rate that borders on insanity.) While I was feeding everybody this morning, I didn't catch any whiffs of cologne on the old boy, and none of the hens were showing off boxes of chocolates to each other, but he did have that look in his eyes. (I also think I heard Rod Stewart's "Do ya think I'm Sexy" coming from somewhere....)
I am going to bake a cake for Hubby for Valentine's Day- the recipe I have is called a Butterfinger cake, but you may know it by something else. It has the all the right elements; gooey chocolate and whipped cream. Hmmm... maybe this night won't be a bust after all.

Butterfinger Cake
1 dark chocolate cake mix of your choice and ingredients as needed to mix cake
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 12 oz container whipped topping, thawed
1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
1/2 cup chocolate ice cream topping
1 large Butterfinger candy bar for the topping
(or 2 bars-depending on how much you like Butterfingers)

Directions: Prepare cake according to package directions in a 9x13 inch pan. When you remove cake from the oven, punch holes in cake (use a fork or the handle of a wooden spoon), spoon sweetened condensed milk evenly over cake. Cool, cover and allow to stand overnight or for several hours in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, crush the candy bar fairly fine. Ice cake heavily with whipped topping. Drizzle caramel and chocolate lightly over cake, then sprinkle with candy crumbs.
Keep any left-over cake (which is unlikely) in the refrigerator.

8 comments:

  1. oh i hope you feel better!!! Your cake sounds yummy!!! :)

    LOL about the rooster. His name is so funny too!!! We don't have a rooster. Just over 20 hens. I bet he is quite a hoot to watch! LOL

    Happy Valentine's Day!!! I hope it is great for you!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Your post made me laugh, as I have two roosters and many hens. They too have that look in their eye!I have ducks also, but unfortunately, they all turned out to be drakes(male). I am hoping to get a batch of females when Easter comes. I too am getting many eggs now, brown, rose and green in color. What would our lives be without the wake up call of the rooster? So enjoyed your blog, blessings, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hamburger is handsome!

    Hope you feel better! We have been under the weather too!

    HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your cake sounds wonderful! Thanks for posting the recipe! I have TWO roosters for my three hens. Nah, we didn't plan it that way~it's just that some hunting dogs took out our other hens, so I'm looking forward to getting some chicks in a few months.

    Hope your cold isn't too bad and you manage to have a great Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that cake legal? It sounds yummilicious!

    I laughed myself silly about that rooster. Pathetic, isn't it?

    Blessings,
    lea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love your rooster stories!! They all seem to have a personality of their own, don't they?

    Do I dare try that cake? It sounds dangerously divine!! I have a pan of mint brownies sitting down stairs that I'd love to eat for breakfast right now! I don't think I have the will power for that cake! LOL!
    ~Blessings
    B

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL...you crack me up! i loved your comment on my blog today!!! How are you feeling?

    I am posting a better pic of my valances today!!! :) Thanks for the compliment on them..i really appreciate it!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Farm Chick, I hope you won't be upset. I am putting your cake on my Parker's General.
    I will give you credit, naming your blog.
    Thanks in advance for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment~ I would love to hear from you!