December 9, 2008

A Christmas Tag

My lovely and talented bloggy buddy Alexis from Tales from the Back Acher has pointed her finger at me to do a "Christmas tag"... so here goes!


1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? I love them both, but egg nog gets the nod this time of year!

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Definitely wrapped.

3. Colored light on house/tree or white? I like all white.... I am funny about everything looking uniform. (My best friend is laughing her head off right now- she knows what a freak I am. Hush up, Polly.)

4. Do you hang mistletoe? YES!

5. When do you put your decorations up? I usually like to start putting things up Thanksgiving weekend, but this year I'm a little behind.....

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? I love all of it! But if I had to choose just one- cornbread dressing. I could live on a deserted island with a pan of that stuff and be as happy as could be.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? I have a large family and I remember being so excited about everybody being together on Christmas Eve.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Believe it or not, I actually never had a thing about Santa.... my parents never put much emphasis on that, and plus, when I was little we didn't have a chimney, and I was way too rational to believe that my Mother would let a strange man in a red suit into our house on Christmas Eve. (Told you I was a freak...)

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Yes!!

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? I love lights, but I also love ribbons and bows and ornaments that have sentimental value. One day, I hope to have a tree with all handmade ornaments!

11. Snow. Love it or dread it? Love it! We usually don't have much snow in this part of the country at Christmas, but I keep hoping....*sigh*

12. Can you ice skate? No. Two words- weak ankles.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I remember being excited about certain gifts.... I have a picture of me when I was about 3 or 4 with a little train I wasn't expecting to get. You can tell by my face I was thrilled!

14. What is the most important thing about the holidays for you? I always take time to read the story of Jesus and remember WHY he was born. I love the song "The Angels Cried"... especially the part that says, "the Angels knew what was to come; the reason God had sent his Son from up above... it filled their hearts with joy to see, but knowing of his destiny, came tears of love...."

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? FUDGE!!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Ever since I can remember, the menu for my family's Christmas gathering has always been- homemade Hot Tamales and chili- YUMMO!
17. What tops your Christmas tree? An angel.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Giving. (But I love getting homemade Christmas candy and fudge, too!)

19. What is your favorite Christmas song? "What Child is This"... I also love "Silver Bells"- that was my Momma's favorite.

20. Candy Canes. Yum or Yuck? Yum, but only the peppermint kind- I don't like the cinnamon or fruity ones.

21. What do you want for Christmas? I would love to have a nice coffee pot, since my other one conked out and the $12 dollar one from Wal-Mart I replaced it with smells like it's on fire when it brews.
22. Do you attend an annual Christmas party? No.

23. Do you dress up for Christmas Eve or wear PJ's? Are you kidding? Pajamas all the way!
24. Do you own a Santa hat? Ummm, I think I do- it's probably buried in a box of decorations somewhere.
25. Who do you normally spend Christmas with? Mine and Hubby's families.



This was fun.... I'm going to bend the rules a bit now- instead of nominating anybody in particular, just leave me a comment answering one of the questions, or do the whole tag on your blog! (Just be sure to let me know so I can come over and read yours!)

44 comments:

  1. I think my favorite Christmas song is the one by Faith Hill- Where are you Christmas. It's on The Grinch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I forgot about that one, Jen... that is a good one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your christmas rooster looks so cute w/ his photoshopped santa hat on! Speaking of santa hats...to answer one of your tag questions...I used to have one, but I have no idea where it is now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paula,
    I love the rooster! I'm going to comment on number 14. What is the most important thing about holidays for you. First, be thankful for all our friends and family that are near and dear to us. Second, it is wonderful to give and receive gifts,(the anticipation of what all those presents are under the tree has on numerous occasions gotten us up in the weeee hours of the morning) however, it is also important for us all to remember Christmas as the birth of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Miss Paula!!! As I grew up and well into my early adulthood we would always go to the candlelight service at our church and the song (which became my favorite because it carries so many fond memories) Oh Holy Night would be sung by the same man every year......even at a young age it moved me to tears.... thinking about it makes me a little tearing....It carries such a strong message and when I think of what my Sweet Saviour Jesus has done for me I can not help but be filled with an enormous amount of gratitude and love. Thank you for sharing....have a GREAT DAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Open presents on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? Husbands family opens theirs on Eve and my family always opened on Day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fun! I will probably copy your idea at my blog.
    My fav. Christmas songs are Have yourself a merry little Christmas, White Christmas and Where are you Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Christmas rooster! I will have to copy your idea.

    Colored or white lights? Always has been multi-colored. Mainly because my kids (now adults) tell me to do it that way. They say the white lights are year round. What do they know!?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE reading more about you on your Christmas Tag!! Fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Paula! Thanks for the inspiration - my blog now has a post of the Christmas Tag questions. I had fun answering it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun to read all the things about you! As for me (#23)...I'm in my pj's the entire day! Oh, the comfort of being comfortable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done!! I'm changing my Christmas wish list to include a coffee maker too!! Mine went kaplooie yesterday and I'll be darned if the family didn't already go shopping for me just the day before! Such luck... tsk tsk. *Mental note to self: DO NOT buy $12 walmart job*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Paula,
    I enjoyed learning more about you!
    I will answer #7. My favorite holiday memory as a child is getting handmade beautiful barbie clothes and baked goodies in the mail from my grandma who lived in Pennsylvania!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Paula (I won't keep that up - the old song probably haunts you - of course you aren't as old as I am old but that's a different topic) WHEW - just posted my version of the answers to these questions and it might be good we are blog friends because my devil may care responses about colors and decor might send you into a tizzy if we were neighbors! Fun blog post and thanks - I'd have pegged you for a wait until Christmas morning gift gal so there you go - more insight. fa la la la laaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just wanted to say that Hamburger looks cute in his little Santa hat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's the cutest rooster I've EVER seen!

    I'm with you on the PJs for Christmas Eve. Comfy, comfy. Except we do dress up for church and then rush home to the PJs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. #15. Yum~I love fudge, too! (although, for some reason, I've been craving divinity! Haven't made any yet, though),

    I'm having a giveaway on my blog, Paula, so come on over and join in!

    R~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Paula is that a picture of hamburger with the santa hat on?
    I like your answers...my favorite Christmas song is I'll be Home for Christmas...it's sentimental to me because of my son being in the military years ago and he was always away for Christmas. I still tear up when I hear it played on the radio because I think of all the military men and women away from their families.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I may copy this to my blog in a couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We've had 3 really bad coffee makers in a row. Not long ago, I heard an advertisement for a Hamilton Beach 12 cup brew station. LOVE IT! No pot, just push your cup and fill it up. Coffee tastes better longer not sitting in the pot baking and no drips from a leaky pot either. Google it on Amazon. Loved your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Paula, #13 my favorite toy was the Barbie head that you could fix her hair and do makeup. Well, that was until my sister gave her a haircut.

    Come on over and look what I made to go along with the afghan for my 7 year old. Tomorrow I will be busy on the 14 year olds. Take Care :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. "Do you attend an annual Christmas party?" I attend several but not the one thrown by my dentist and his assistant. LOL

    Oh Paula, how could you???? LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. I did this one as an email. It is alot of fun remembering all this stuff. Our whole family used to go to midnight mass, even after it was changed to 10:00 and still called midnight mass.
    My favorite song has always been 'Silver Bells', since we sang it in 6th grade at out Christmas program.
    My fave gift was a teddy bear my Grandma Young made for me when I was about 3. It was in a piece of luggage that was lost or stolen during a trip in 1982.
    We don't have any specific 'meal' at Christmas but I simply adore the teacakes my Grandma Fraise always made for us. In fact, I make them for everyone now that she is gone. I have never missed Christmas with my parents in my life.
    We don't exchange gifts as adults. We all buy for the kids. I prefer gift bags--neater and cheaper.
    Oh, and I prefer white lights--all white---it drives me crazy to see displays with mixed lights, like some red, some multi, some white---uncool.......

    ReplyDelete
  24. The majority of your answers were the same as mine would be. Soul sisters, we are! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the santa hat on the rooster!!!

    Fudge...my Mom's recipe...the best!!!

    Stop by and visit sometime! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi there! I saw your comment on a recent blog and your rooster photo caught my attention! I LOVE everything roosters and have a rooster kitchen! Of course I would love a real one, but that will have to wait until we can get our home owners assoc. to approve of my husband building a chicken coop! :-) I look forward to coming back and reading more about your life!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Definitely egg nog! I esp like the Southern Comfort brand egg nog. It's non-alcholoic but full of awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So fun to learn more about you. I love so much about the holiday meals, but the deserts are the best, and fudge tops that list. YUM! I love having our families traditional decorations too. But, I would like to have all new (vintage, but new to me) tree decorations some year.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  29. That was great! I really enjoyed getting to know the Christmas side of you. Thank you for sharing!
    Patricia :o)

    ReplyDelete
  30. As always it seems,I am the late one...I just love Silent Night...its my all time favorite Christmas hymn...so soothing and worshipful...but so many are great, its hard to choose....

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your Rooster in the Santa Hat! Thanks for sharing! That was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Neat peek into your Christmas life!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Paula, that picture has to be one of my favorites....LOVE that Rooster!

    My favorite Christmas Song- that's a tough one- I love Christmas music. Today my favorite is "Some Children see Him."
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Paula! I took the tag and made a list and checked it twice, but still can't get the darn Blogger to space it right! hahaha Stop by and read my post when you get a chance! Thanks for the "tag"

    ReplyDelete
  35. A great tag!! Had fun reading it..laughing all the time while looking at the Santa Rooster!! I hadn't looked at my chickens/rooster with dressing them in mind! Hmmmmm? That might be fun to think over!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Paula, I love your Rooster with the Santa Hat. So festive!
    It was good reading your answers getting to know you better! When I was a little girl Christmas Eve was my favorite day of the year. Getting together will all my Italian relatives, the food was fabulous. I would do anything to have one more...
    ~Love, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  37. I just loved reading your tag!!!

    I thought it was funny that you like cornbread dressing best -- I wonder if it's a Southern girl (I mean "Belle") thing? We love our cornbread dressing, here, too!

    There's too many great Christmas songs to pick just one, but "Mary Did You Know?" popped into my head almost immediately --- it always makes me cry (with joy, of course!)

    Merry Christmas,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hey Paula, Thanks for the potato soup recipe. I haven't had a chance to make it yet it's been crazy around here. But it's going on the menu for the coming week and I'm going to try those bread bowls also. Take Care :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hey, Paula, where did you buy that roosters hat?? lol. Just love. My favorite Christmas song among many, is Do You Hear What I Hear....that could be a whole new meaning out here where I live..{: blessings,Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  40. How fun! I always love reading more about you, Paula. You make me laugh.

    Let's see ~ #8 ~ when did I learn about Santa Claus? It was night when my aunt said, "Look! Up there in the sky. Can you see his sleigh and reindeer?" I said, "Yes, I see it!" And everyone commented about it while I stood and there and knew that there wasn't a thing up there but the moon! LOL That was night I knew.

    I think I'll do this tag tomorrow too. What fun!

    Love hamburger's hat!

    Smiles,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  41. Loved this post, and the previous one too...I'm with you on the fudge!
    Have a Merry Christmas. Hope you get some snow!
    Love, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  42. Another tag awaits you over at my blog. It's a very simple and easy one!! Promise!
    The rooster is just so funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I enjoyed reading more about you, glad you shared.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment~ I would love to hear from you!