July 15, 2013

Brace yourself....

A huge bumblebee hangs on a vitex bloom while trying to gather pollen.


No, that is not an earthquake you're feeling... just the sound of me starting up my computer and actually sitting down to write something. Try to remain calm.... things will settle down once I get my rusty brain (and fingers) to figure out how to use the keyboard again.  :)

After such a prolonged (and unplanned) absence from my blog, you would think I would have tons of pictures to share, but surprisingly enough, I haven't had my camera out of the house much at all. One reason is the heat~ the few times I have taken it outside, I've had to wait several minutes for the lens to stop fogging up from the change in temperature. Ahhh, summer.

Oh, I have taken pictures of Lily Belle... here she is napping and using her favorite stuffed animal for a pillow.




And I've managed to take a few in the kitchen.

Stuffed peppers from the garden... 
(Yum.)



Peach cobbler. 
( Double yum!)





Hubby and I both got new "smart phones"~ he needed one for his job and I needed one to try to keep up with all this new-fangled technology. I still haven't figured out how to use mine. In other words, my smart phone is making me feel dumb~ imagine the irony of that. At least I can make a phone call on it. Everything else... eh...





We're taking honey from our bees this week... we were planning on doing it 4th of July since Hubby was off from work that day, but the weather prevented that. We had nearly 10 inches of rain that week and it's never a good idea to open up the hive when it is damp outside... you don't want any moisture to get inside and potentially ruin the honey. I'll let you know next week how much honey our sweet little worker girls made this year.








And it appears as if the hens have been taking karate lessons, but I'm not sure....








There is just so much to do this time of year... just keeping the grass mowed is a twice-a-week job. 
You can tell by this picture that our little homestead is very green right now... 
but I'm very thankful for the green because it gives the sheepies a lot to eat. :)




I hope to post something again soon, but most of all I want to get caught up with all that has been going on in your world so I'm going to be busy visiting blogs this week....
Happy Monday, everyone!

26 comments:

  1. sweet green grass! lots of moisture there! laughed at karate chicken! so cute! glad all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that 'kickin chickin' and "lovely Lily' it is hot and humid here to... if i miss more than 2 days blogging, everyone will know i died or close to it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula, could you blow a little rain this way? We're in drought again this summer. Love your beautiful green pastures and good photo skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking t a rescue bulldog tomorrow
    God help me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like a lot of folks are just struggling right now to keep up with their gardens and keep the grass mowed. I don't have any veggies and very little lawn. Everything looks great at your house, tho I know it takes a lot of time and effort to keep it up.
    I'd keep an eye on those chickens!
    The next thing you know, they'll don little black masks and numchux.(?) I'd send Lily out first!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved everything about this post ...chickens doing kung foo too ~ a riot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need your stuffed pepper recipe please! I will be picking our bell peppers in a few days. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto to your whole post... ITs good to see you posting and letting us know Miss Lily is still doing what she likes best and seeing the farm.

    YES, the rain was much needed but we would like to see some sun for a few weeks.

    Nothing like fresh honey and you are truly blessed to have active hives. Our friend's hives are not doing so good so I doubt we will get any of his honey.

    GOD keep you all safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So good to see you back and posting and that you are doing well. We have been getting good rain and it was very chilly today........a big shock for Texas. Love your farm photos.........so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a nice time now.
    A lot of things from your garden to eat. I'm starting to get hungry when I see your food picture.

    Have a nice time and tanks for some fabulous pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Paula...It is splendid to "hear" from you again! Alas, the weather has been vexing here as well...flooding rains, cold, now blistering heat both day and night.
    It was so kind of you to brave the summer weather in order to grace us with your lovely photographs. Your Fraker Farm children are always a delight, the landscape breathtaking, Miss Lily a sweetpea, and your kitchen creations ever so delectable!
    Wishing you happy days, and best of luck solving the logistics of your new phone! Just the thought of it makes me shutter in fear.
    Sending summertime hugs your way...
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Paula-the chicken made me laugh and I'm still smilin'!!!
    The bees look wonderful! Hope the hive is healthy and you get lots of honey.
    Been thinkin' about you-so glad you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  13. always good to visit with you Paula - gorgeous place - you and hubby do a fine job keeping it looking tip top. Chicken kickin' - new dance craze?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know what you mean about taking pictures outside...it's just too HOT! From what they're saying, it's only going to get worse! Love that picture of Miss Lily snoozing the day away. What a life!

    Be sure to stop by my blog today, if you can. I'm having a giveaway for a FREE 8 x 10 Easy Canvas! Would sure love to have you join in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would you share your stuffed pepper recipe? Those look amazing! I need to email you my cell #!
    Your posts just make my whole week.
    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, it's good to see pictures from yall. Sweet Lily Belle, peach cobbler, karate chickens, and the promise of a honey of a story. It's good to see all that's going on.
    I wouldn't even be able to make a call on one of those things,,,you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bet that bee poop is sweet and tasty! Oh LilyBelle
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  18. glad you are back! I don't know how many times I've logged in to your blog hoping to see Lily! :) And of course, hear what you've been up to. Take care.

    Ardith from Green Country

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hear you Paula. It's been hectic here too. I didn't get many pics of my flowers let alone anything else. Mow is all we get done and the garden is not doing well at all. I haven't seen this rainy a summer in many years. I do wish we could send some of it to the ones that need it. You have a beautiful home. Hugs, xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am excited to see how much honey you get from the hive this year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've turned into a grass mowing machine myself! Your place looks great. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your photo of your hen practicing karate. :-)LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hahahahaaa....karate?
    Loving Miss Lily... And YES! It's about time you blogged Girlfriend!!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always enjoy a peek into your peaceful and beautiful place. Sigh. The twice a week mowing kinda makes me tired but look at all that good food you are eating!!! It is well deserved. That Lily cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I know summer is a very busy time of the year on the farm. That honey looks so good and the stuffed peppers, and peach cobbler look so good, too.
    Your dog and chicken look as though they are enjoying the hot, summer weather.
    Fall is coming soon and maybe the days will get cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Paula! Loved this post and I am so glad you have a new computer! I have spells when I don't blog much, and then I get so far behind with everyone it isn't funny! :-) Thanks for your well-wishes. Loved the shot of Lily! :-) I finally put a hummingbird feeder back up after about four months of not having one up. The hummers would come by and look, and it was breaking my heart. But, honestly, the bees had overtaken the feeder before so completely, I didn't have a choice. Right now the finches and some other little bird I need to look up are drinking as much as the hummingbirds, and I put a suet feeder out to keep the woodpeckers away but they are still coming to drink also, so I'm back to filling the feeder once every day or so. But no bees. I love the bees, and worry about them, but the hummers weren't getting anything, plus it was uncomfortable since we have killer bee colonies here some, and I just worried about my bees suddenly being infiltrated by Africanized bees and it becoming a danger. Anyway, back to feeding the hummers!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment~ I would love to hear from you!