July 19, 2013

Friday Farm Fotos: The Empty Nest


A few months ago during cold weather, I slipped while walking in wet shoes on the slick concrete floor in our garage. Thankfully, I didn't fall, but during my stumble and clumsy attempt to keep from hurting myself I knocked over a little plastic yard chicken that Hubby bought me and broke the head off. I kept the pieces and tried to remind myself to buy some Super Glue, but time went on and I kept forgetting about it.
A couple of weeks ago I noticed a wren trying to build a nest inside the headless chicken, which was now laying sideways on a shelf next to my car. I checked one day to see if anything was going on in there, and sure enough, there were three tiny eggs. Once the babies hatched, I was delighted to be able to walk out the back door and hear the faint peeping coming from inside. And occasionally I would even catch a glimpse of mom and dad bringing food to them.

Yesterday, I was in the kitchen and heard some shrill bird calls and bumping noises coming from the garage and remembered the little bird family so I thought I had better go investigate. Once outside, I discovered the calls were coming from Mrs. Wren, who was coaxing her babies out of the nest~ and the bumping noises I heard were the sounds of them fluttering and trying to fly for the first time.

Everyone seemed to be doing okay~ except for Baby #3.

On his first attempt at flight the poor thing got stuck between an old tennis shoe and the wire shelf.



I had to giggle after I snapped this picture~ 
you can almost see the look of bewilderment on his face at this huge new world.





He finally made it to the ground..... 
but by this time momma and the two siblings were getting farther and farther away.






He hopped and rested...
And hopped and rested....
I could see the tiny little heart fluttering in his chest.






He finally made it to the grass, and now momma's chirps and calls were louder than before, 
like she was saying, "Hurry! Come to safety with us!"






So with one big burst of energy, he flew....
Not high, and not very pretty, but he flew~
to somewhere in these trees where he was reunited with his mom and siblings.
I smiled as I heard them chattering to each other.





But then I felt a little sad when I walked back to the house and saw this....
And it was so quiet, where there had once been peeps and chirps and lots of activity....






This morning I glued my chicken back together.



And for some reason I never paid any attention to what the chicken is holding until today.....


Do you think Mr. and Mrs. Wren built the nest there by chance?
Nah, me either..... :)

Happy Friday!

22 comments:

  1. Hi Paula! Love the bird pics and story. No way that happened by accident. Love the yard chick, too.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post and I do love that chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula - what a wonderful story and series of pictures - ain't no coincidences in God's world are there?
    used to have a handyman who pronounced the word coinkidinks
    co inky dinks - never have been able to say it right without a little smile since then

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess there was a reason you were supposed to knock over and break that chicken. Kudos to you for not fixing it right away and leaving a perfect nesting spot for the wrens... Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, Paula - sweet story. Thought you were going to say you weren't going to fix that chicken! I'm glad the little wren made it to safety.

    I had some finches in my grapevines this year. I just left them alone and they hatched and I guess they made it. We watched them with great interest. I saved their nest...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wrens ~ my favorites! Once I had a wren's nest in a hanging flower. Glad your little one made it into the trees!

    What a darling "hen"; I have a cement hen and two chicks, but they don't have that comical look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! What a lovely story to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Paula. What a neat story and what a funny chicken. Those wrens are really sweet, and so fast. Their song is one of my favorites. I've heard they'll nest in some of the funniest places, and you've proven that. Thanks for the great post. Good to see you!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story. You'll never look at that sweet statue the same again. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sweet! Oh, my, I love that sweet little thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh Paula~this made me cry......but happy tears!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, that's so sweet. I've been watching them in my yard this summer. The robins have built everywhere. I bet you enjoyed that so much. Hugs, xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute!!!!
    You take great pictures.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Earlene

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great story. And a happy ending, my favorite kind. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing this precious story with us. What a happy ending! Or should I say beginning!?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are the exact baby birds that were in our grill at the lake! I kept thinking the mother would move them with all the activity on our deck but she never did... we watched the parents bring them food all weekend!

    Glad to hear yours had a happy ending! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Paula, what a beautiful story about the birds. How sweet about the baby birds. I really enjoyed this heart-warming story.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Paula!! Gave me chills!
    What a Wonderful story this was...
    Mr and Mrs will be back next Spring...what 'cha gonna put out there for the next nest?
    Hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Paula!
    Thank Good that everything end up well for both you and the babybird:)

    What a nice serie you have done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Made me cry I love taking in God's wonderful design. As one of your comments says it was no accident this happened. I can understand the sadness coming back to an empty chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is about the cutest post I have ever read!!!! The picture of him stuck and looking straight at the camera is adorable! I loved this! And you are right...this couldn't have been a more perfect home for those babies, considering.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment~ I would love to hear from you!