October 4, 2013

Friday Farm Fotos: Random Birds

Lily enjoys the autumn sunshine.



Well, the hummingbirds have finally moved on... *sniff*... the last time I saw one was on Tuesday, and I'm pretty sure the cool nights this week have alerted them to the fact that it is time to go south. I will leave the feeders up for a couple more weeks in case some more pass through and need a drink. I'll miss them and their chatty little squeaks, but I'll still have lots of company at the seed and suet feeders to make me smile. Here are some of the different birds that visit on regular basis and will continue to do so through the winter.




Next to the hummers, I have to say that the nuthatch is near the top of my list of favorite birds. 
Their acrobatic moves amaze me, and I love their quirky little raspy call.




And of course, bluebirds always make me smile.....




Blue Jays are noisy birds, but I like having them around. 
They are beneficial when you have chickens in that they will alert you when danger is around, such as a hawk or a cat.




We have an abundance of male and female red birds (cardinals) that feed every morning at the sunflower feeders.





Doves are also plentiful, and since they are too big to perch on the feeders I scatter a little bit of seed on the ground for them every morning.





Mockingbirds are bug-catchers so they don't eat at the feeders, but they make their presence known by constantly imitating all the other bird calls.




Occasionally I will see goldfinches, and the male and female always feed together, with one on the lookout while the other one eats. I was only able to capture the male in this picture because Mrs. Goldfinch was watching from the top of the satellite dish. :)



Every once in a while I'm fortunate to catch a glimpse of a rare bird, and I'm even more fortunate when I have my camera handy. Pileated woodpeckers are so shy they seldom land this close to the house, and he was still too far away for my camera to focus clearly..... but I managed to capture a shot or two before he flew away.




And here is another unusual bird sighting~ 
a Sunbathing Silkie. :)

Actually, this is nothing unusual for Sadie, 
who does this all the time now that she is getting close to the ripe old age of 5!


Happy Friday, everyone!

22 comments:

  1. Truly wonderful photos that made me smile.
    I heart Lily :)
    Happy Fall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful and colorful birds and of course, Sadie and Lily enjoying the warm sun makes me smile! Have a good day, Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I'm pea-green with envy over that cute lil nuthatch. Just adorable. I think I'm going to have to plant some pinetrees...

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee hee We are very much alike with our great love for feathered friends.
    Our sweet little hummies all left for to warmer climates by the last week of September ...oh yes I shall miss their cheery joy.
    We now have the wild bird feeders filled near all the windows and I do love that as well .
    Of course our fun and funky chickens are always very entertaining us too.
    Have a great weekend.
    Willow :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a hard time scrolling down through the post because of the sweet Lily face at the beginning.. once in a state park, we were sitting on at a picnic table and i hear a really loud racket, like jackhammers gone mad. I looked UP and there on a tree not 30 feet away was not ONE but 4 pileated woodpeckers, that was a real fun sight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure do have a place that birds love to hang out. The woodpecker is my fav!~ The sound they make sounds so scary but you always know they are in teh area when you hear it. I am keeping my feeders full for your hummers!~
    Kiss lily for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, these are so sweet. My hummers have played out as well. I took their feeders up so they could go to warmer stomping grounds. hugs, xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. these made me smile. most of our hummingbirds have been leaving, but we have 2 new ones (late arrivals) to sip here a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderfully educating, Paula. All our birds seem to have left except the bluejays. I miss the mockingbird trills.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How we love bird TV. We watch and watch with mom. Beautiful. Oh sweet Bully, BOL
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I wish we had cardinals like you.. I did see a pair last Fall.. Hope they come back.. Lily looks very wise, there. grin. ox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lily looks quite pleased with herself; love that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paula, your photos are lovely! I love all birds and thus far haven't seen a bluejay in my area, but I have seen a cardinal. I was unable to photograph him, though, because he flew away before I got the chance. Thank you so much for sharing these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello
    I love your photos.
    I enjoy nuthatch too. They stay the winter in Wisconsin. I am glad they do - they provide fun entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I think I've put out my last bit of hummingbird food too. I think I'll leave it out for stragglers too.
    Great pics of your birds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wowie... you captured some beautiful birds! Love all of them.

    We too have taken down the hummingbird feeders.

    Thanks so much for the warm welcome back.. it means so much to me.

    Have a happy weekend.

    Kerin

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww-Sadie is enjoying her 'old age'! You've got some great bird photos, Paula. Was the pileated tapping on the metal? He is quite amazing. I hear them around, but only see them as they fly away.
    Have a wonderful weekend dear.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm missing the hummingbirds, too. sigh. You sure have a lot of lovely song birds keeping you company, though. They are lovely and especially Sadie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sadly, "our" summertime birds have left for warmer climes. Tho' there are always the winter-hearty chaps to enjoy...and are always ready to tease our (forever indoor) felines. Such a fuss they create together!
    Thank you for sharing the beauty of Fraker Farm...it is always such a delight!
    Sending love...
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved all the bird photos, Paula, but you know my favorite one is Lily, she stole the show and my heart!!!~smile~ Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awww...Miss Lily...love her!
    Beautiful birds as well but that last shot cracked me up! TOO Cute!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment~ I would love to hear from you!